A Reasonable Atheist

a loose buckle on the bible belt


Bible Quest - An atheist goes to the christian bookstore

Well, I'm on my way to my project to read the whole bible from cover to cover. I'd first like to thank everyone for all the suggestions on what bible to get. After reading all the comments on my blog and over at Hemant's blog http://friendlyatheist.com, I've decided to pick the New Revised Standard Version. However, I will be using the excellent parallel bible online I found at http://bible.cc to cross reference translations when I have questions.

So, last night, my wife and I went to Mardel's Christian bookstore. Why did we go to a Christian bookstore, when we could have went to Barnes and Noble instead? I'm not sure actually, I think my wife thought it would be interesting, or, painful for me, or something. Anyway, once inside Mardel's, we were faced with an entire wall full of bibles. I would say 1/3 of the wall was KJV, and another third was NIV. Where was the NRSV you say? That's the interesting part.. the other third was "Other Bibles" . They had exactly 3, count 'em, 3 copies of the NRSV. I'm confused as to why this bookstore didn't have more copies of this translation, maybe a Christian can post in the comments and explain it. Anyway, I settled on a modestly priced ($12.99) NRSV by Hendrickson Bibles, (in conjunction with Oxford University Press). This copy also includes the Apocrypha which should be interesting.

Anyway, I hope to start reading soon. I'm going to get a notebook so I can take notes as I go. Hopefully it won't be too long until my first post.

3 Responses to “Bible Quest - An atheist goes to the christian bookstore”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Many churches recommend setting aside a certain "quiet time" each day for your bible reading. I do this myself, although, I view it as a time for my "religious reading". I sometimes read the bible while other times I read the latest books (or blogs) by atheist authors.

    I look forward to reading your impressions as you work through the "good book".  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I work at Mardel. The reason we don't carry that many NRSV is the same reason for everything: $$$$$$$$$$$$$. We're all about the dollars, just like everyone else. Please don't judge Christians by Christian book stores.  

  3. # Blogger Author

    Have you ever wondered - as I commonly do - why anyone would tolerate charging for a text that contains the thoughts of God himself, meant to save your eternal soul from damnation, torture, gritting and gnashing of teeth, etc etc?
    To say it another way - wouldn't that suggest that my salvation is worth $13?
    What if I don't have $13 to spare when I have two mouths to feed at home, and my local Christian chapter doesn't just pass that book out for free? (Yes, I know some do.)
    Do I just collect my "Go to Hell Free" card and be on my merry way?  

Post a Comment

Search

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from echobucket. Make your own badge here.


    XML
    image